After his retirement a few years ago, he now dedicates most of his time to his hobby, the study of arms and armour, especially medieval firearms. On this and other arms-related subjects he has contributed several papers which were published in scientific journals, e.g. Token Bijutsu (Tokyo, Japan), the Newsletter of the Japanese Sword Society (USA), Deutsches Waffen Journal, and the Zeitschrift für historische Waffen- und Kostümkunde, as well as to the Yearbook of the German Falconry Association.
Furthermore, Klaus is the German translator of the Chinese classic Sun Tsu - The Art of War, which was published in 1989 by Info-Verlag, Karlsruhe, and of which a second edition has been issued recently. A third and revised edition is expected next year. The Art of War mainly deals with the philosophy of conflict and is nowadays mainly used by businessmen to formulate their strategies.
Together with Prof. Gerhard W. Kramer, Freiburg, he is also translator and contributor of Das Feuerwerkbuch - Gunpowder in Medieval Germany, issued by the Arms and Armour Society, London in 2001.
Klaus is a founding member of the Medieval Gunpowder Research Group, a group of international scholars, with the aim to scientifically and experimentally research medieval artillery and gunpowder. Founders and initiators of the group are the Middelaldercentret in Nykøbing, Denmark, a museum dedicated to the study of the technology of the middle ages and the Artillery School of the Danish Army. The first report discussing the experiments of the year 2002 can be downloaded from the homepage of the Middelaldercentret.
Klaus Leibnitz is a member of several national and international organisations, such as
- the German Falconry Association, Deutschen Falkenorden
- the Society for the Study of Arms and Costume, Gesellschaft für historische Waffen- und Kostümkunde, Germany
- the Arms and Armour Society London, UK
- the Bavarian Sports Shooting Association, Bayerischer Sportschützenbund
- the National Rifle Association, USA, (Life Member and Golden Eagle)
He is also chairman (Erster Schützenmeister) of the local small bore shooting club, Kleinkaliber-Schützenverein Gemünden 1954 e.V.
Currently, his research focuses on medieval gunpowder. Together with some Japanese friends, he is also preparing a book about Japanese matchlock firearms.
- Collecting engraved Luger Pistols or caveat emptor!
- "Der japanische Nachbau eines Colt Navy Revolvers Modell 1851"
List of Publications
- "A Critical Analysis of the Saltpetre Extraction and Purification Recipes in Biringuccio's Pirotechnia", Journal of the Ordnance Society, vol. 16, p. 83-92, 2004.
- "Büchsenmeisterei" (in German), Zeitschrift fur Historische Waffen und Kostümkunde, 2002, Heft 2, p. 127-154.
- "Die Beizvogeldarstellungen des Japaners Ota Moriaki" (in German), Greifvögel und Falknerei, Jahrbuch des Deutschen Falkenordens 1999, p. 172-174, Neumann-Neudamm, ISBN 3-7888-0743-1.
- "Das Feuerwerkbuch - Gunpowder in Medieval Germany" (translated by Klaus Leibnitz) The Journal of the Arms and Armour Society, Jubilee Number, Vol. XVII, Bo. 1, March 2001.
- "Ein Kommentar zu Die Eltzer Buchsenpfeile" (in German), Zeitschrift fur Historische Waffen und Kostümkunde, 2000, Heft 2, p. 137-140.
- "Die Manuskripte des Walter de Milemete" (in German), Zeitschrift fur Historische Waffen und Kostümkunde, 1992, Heft 1+2, p. 117-131.
- "Sun Tsu - Über die Kriegskunst" (in German, translation and commentary by Klaus Leibnitz) Info Verlag Karlsruhe, 1989, ISBN 3-88190 038-1.
- "A mysterious Japanese sword in Europe" (translated into English), Newsletter of the Japanese Sword Society USA, Nov./Dec. 1984, Vol. 16, No. 6, p. 27-29.
- "A mysterious Japanese sword in Europe" (in Japanese), Token Bijutsu, Tokyo, August 1983.
- "Tanegashima Tsutsu" - Gewehrläfe aus Japan (in German), Deutsches Waffen Journal 19/1982, p. 1256-1259.
- "Betrachtungen uber Inschriften und Signaturen auf japanischem Schwertzubehor" (in German), Zeitschrift fur Historische Waffen und Kostümkunde, 1981, Heft 2, p. 27-38.
- "Das Schwert des Samurai" (book review), Newsletter of the Japanese Sword Society USA, Sept./Oct. 1981, Vol. 13, No. 5, p. 20-23.
- "A few thoughts on the Japanese sword", Newsletter of the Japanese Sword Society USA, Sept./Oct. 1981, Vol. 13, No. 5, p. 6-15.